This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- Full professor Cultural Anthropology, chair "Islam in European societies"
Changing, appointment by Email.
Anthropology of Religion (islam, politics and islam, leadership, young people and and islam), migration, ethnicity and nation-building and European History, Turkey.
Board memberships and management tasks 2016/2017
Recent Publications:Sunier, T., H. van der Linden & E. van de Bovenkamp 2016. ‘Transnational Islam: Moroccan and Turkish State competing for the Ummah’ Contemporary Islam (special issue on ‘Citizenship in Transition: Islamic actors and discourses in the public domain’ Bergh, S., K. Willemse and A. Chhachhi eds.) Published online March 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s11562-016-0353-7
Sunier, T. 2014. ‘Domesticating Islam: Exploring Academic Knowledge Production on Islam and Muslims in European Societies’ Ethnic and Racial Studies vol. 37, no.6 pp. 1138-1155.
Sunier, T. 2014. ‘Schooling and new religious diversity across four European countries’ in Bowen, J., Bertossi, C., Duyvendak, J.W., Krock, M.L.(eds.), European States and their Muslim Citizens. The impact of institutions on perceptions and boundaries Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 54-73
Sunier, T. 2014. ‘Cosmopolitan theology. Fethullah Gülen and the making of a ‘Golden Generation’. Ethnic and Racial Studies Vol. 37, no. 12 pp. 2193-2209 (More information on this special issue)
Sunier, T en N. Landman 2014. Turkse islam.Actualisatie van kennis over Turkse religieuze stromingen en organisaties in Nederland. Een literatuurstudie in opdracht van het Ministerie van Sociale Zaken en Werkgelegenheid Den Haag: Ministerie van Sociale Zaken en Werkgelegenheid (research report).
Sunier, T. & N. Landman 2014. Transnational Turkish Islam. Shifting Geographies of religious Activism and Community Building in Turkey and Europe. (Palgrave Macmillan). More information
Research Report Turkish Islamic Organizations
Click here to download the report Turkish Islam and the summary, commissioned by the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs.
- 2009 Research commissioned by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the activities and policies of the Turkish Directorate of Religious Affairs since 2003 (€ K80).
- 2011 NISIS PhD grant for research about the Turkish Gülen Movement (€K 200). http://www.hum.leiden.edu/nisis
- 2013 NWO research grant for research project ‘Making Islam Work in the Netherlands’ (€K 400). http://www.fsw.vu.nl/en/news-events/news/2013/how-does-islam-take-shape.asp Visit the project website for more information: http://miwin.nl/
- 2013 NWO research grant for research project ‘Controversies on Jewish and Muslim religious practices’ (€K 400). http://www.fsw.vu.nl/en/news-events/news/2013/grant-research-muslim-jewish-religious-practices.asp
- 2013 Grant for research on Turkish Islamic movements in the Netherlands for the Ministry of Social Affairs (with Dr. Nico Landman, UU)(€K 15)