- +31 20 59 86855
- faculteit der sociale wetenschappen ( afdeling sociologie )
- Professor of Intercultural Governance (UT), Associate Professor in Sociology (VU)
Sawitri Saharso is Professor of Intercultural Governance at the School of Management and Governance of the University of Twente (Enschede, the Netherlands) and Associate Professor at the Department of Sociology of the VU University Amsterdam. Her research fields include the governance of migration, religious diversity and citizenship within a European comparative perspective, the comparative study of European integration policies, gender, migration and health, and gender and education.
She studied sociology at the University of Amsterdam. She wrote a PhD thesis (1992) on the identity of migrant youth in the Netherlands.
Former positions include an assistant professorship at the Department of Education of the VU University and the University of Amsterdam, and later at the Department of Political Sciences of the VU University.
In 2006-2007 she was visiting professor ‘Democracy and Difference in Europe’, at the Institut für Politikwissenschaft, Universität Wien (Austria). She was until 2012 editor of the Dutch journal Migrantenstudies on Migration and Ethnic Studies and is currently editor of the Open Access journal Comparative Migration Studies.
Sawitri Saharso is a member of the Council of European Studies (CES) and member of the IMISCOE Research Network.
- 2010-2014 Choice or consequence? Choice or consequence? Explaining differences in the participation of women in mathematics,,science and technology (MST) in the Netherlands, Sweden and Iran. (1 PhD position, see webpage drs. Demet Yazilitas VU)
- 2009-2011 PROSINT (Promoting Sustainable Integration Policies) EU Project ( In collaboration with dr. P. Scholten EUR)
- 2009-2011 Integrationvision ‘Colourful Almelo’ (monitoring en wetenschappelijke begeleiding project Integratievisie Kleurrijk Almelo)
- 2009-2011 Language coaches and integration in Enschede (effectrapportage van Taalcoaches en Inburgering in Enschede) in collaboration with dr. J. Svensson UT
- 2009-2011 Giving care, asking care: intergenerational volunteer aid and solidarity in immigrant families in urban Twente (Zorg dragen, zorg vragen: intergenerationele mantelzorg en solidariteit onder allochtonen in stedelijk Twente.) (1 PhD position; see webpage drs. Mariecke van den Berg UT)
- 2009-2010 Equal treatment in the proactive approach of troubling youth behaviour and youth delinquency (Gelijke behandeling in de proactieve aanpak van jeugdoverlast en jeugdcriminaliteit) in collaboration with drs. I. Bakker, prof. dr. M. Junger and dr. J. Svensson UT
- 2006-2008 Values, Equality, Differences in Liberal Democracies. Debates about Female Headscarves in Europe, “Specific Targeted Research Project”(STREP), EC 6. Framework Programme. (1 Phd-position; see webpage drs. Doutje Lettinga VU)
- 2004–2008 Project ‘Suicidal behaviour among immigrant young woman in the Netherlands: the relation with gender and ethnicity’ funded by the Netherlands’ Foundation for Scientific Research (NWO) (1 Phd-position, Diana van Bergen, 25 June 2009)
- 2000-2003 Project 'Culture, toleration and female autonomy in a liberal democracy’ funded by NWO in the research programme ‘Ethics and Policy’. (2 postdoc positions)
- 1996–1999 Project 'Gender, Ethnicity and Public Morality’ funded by NWO in the research programme ‘Ethics and Policy’. (2 postdoc positions)
- 1988–1989 Project 'Assertivity against discrimination' funded by the Ministry of Welfare, Public Health and Culture (WVC). (3 junior positions)
- 1981 Grant from WVC for writing trendreport ‘Women and political power’
- 1980-1981 Project ‘Study delay and drop out female students’ Research grant UvA.